Factors Determining Establishment of Participatory Forest Management (PFM): The Case of Konso Woreda Gocha Kebele, Ethiopia

Tamirat Solomon, Markos Oda, Gesese Olata, Bezawork Girma


In this study the assessment of determining factors for the establishment of participatory forest management (PFM) in Gocha kebele, Konso woreda Segen Area Peoples Zone South Ethiopia was studied. The objective of the study was identifying the major factors that determine PFM in the study area. The study was designed to collect data on the factors that determining PFM establishment. From the total of 400 HHs in the study area, purposely selected 10% which are 40 HHs were selected and a structured questionnaire was administered for individual HHs. It was identified that about 57.5% of the total respondents were the member of PFM and the rest 42.5% were not. About 72.5% of the PFM members are involved in decision making. Knowledge gap, access and distance to the forests and limitation in income and subsistent need were the major determining factors for the establishment and participation in the PFM in the study area. Finally, it was recommended that awareness creation, providing alternative sources for income and energy are the key ways to conserve forest resources.

Keywords: Afforestation, Decision making, Deforestation, Forest conservation, PFM

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email: JBAH@iiste.org

ISSN (Paper)2224-3208 ISSN (Online)2225-093X

Please add our address "contact@iiste.org" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright © www.iiste.org