Epidemiological Investigation of Hepato-Pulmonary Bovine Hydatidosis and Its Economic and Zoonotic Importance at Jimma Municipal Abattoir, Ethiopia

Atsede Brhane Belay Abebed


A cross-sectional study was conducted from November 2013 – March 2014 at Jimma municipal abattoir with the aim of investigating the prevalence, fertility and viability of the hydatid cyst and economic losses due to liver and lung condemnation and to access the knowledge of the community about bovine hydatidosis. Out of the total 384 examined cattle 118 (30.7%) cattle were found harboring one or more hydatid cyst in their lung and liver. From examined animals 113(29.4%), 36(9.4%) and 32 (8.3%) contained hydatid cyst in their lung, liver and in both lung and liver, respectively. Lung was the most predominantly affected organ followed by the liver. From 710 cysts collected from lung 120 (16.9%), 546(76.9%), 44(6.1%) were found to be small, medium and large respectively. Out of 197 cysts collected from liver 121(61.7%) were small size and 75(38.3%) was found to be medium sized.  Higher number of large and medium size cyst were found in lung and small cysts were predominant in liver. From the 78 cysts only 28(35.8%) cyst of lung were found to be fertile and 50(64.2%) of them were infertile (sterile) and 19(24.5%) of them were found to be viable. Age had a significant effect on the occurrence of bovine hydatidosis and high prevalence was recorded in older animals. However, sex and breed didn’t show any difference of statistical significance (P>0.05). In the current study, only (20.65%) of the participants had an awareness of echinococcosis or hydatidosis and  only 18.5% of the respondents knew as the disease was zonotic disease and the rest 81.5% of participants do not know whether the disease is zoonotic or not. In this questioner survey, level of awareness was significantly different among age groups of the respondents and adult respondents had more awareness than the rest (p=0.04). The annual financial losses from organ condemnation due to hepato-pulmonary bovine hydatidosis at Jimma municipal abattoir were estimated to be 94485.60 ETB or 4972.93USD. The present study showed that hepato- pulmonary bovine hydatidosis is prevalent in Jimma area. Factors like presence of more stray dogs that visits the abattoir ground and fed on condemned organs, low public awareness about hydatidosis and backyard slaughtering favors the disease transmission in this area. Public health measures such as control of stray dogs and strengthening of meat inspection services at abattoirs should be practiced.

Keywords: Liver, Lung, prevalence, hydatid cyst, economic loss, zoonoses, Municipal abattoir, Jimma

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email: JBAH@iiste.org

ISSN (Paper)2224-3208 ISSN (Online)2225-093X

Please add our address "contact@iiste.org" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright © www.iiste.org