Application of Agricultural Extension Principles to Information Dissemination among Extension Workers in Delta State, Nigeria: Implications for Urban Agriculture

D.U. Okoedo-Okojie, C.O. Edeoghon


The study identified the various channels used for information dissemination among researchers and determined the level of application of extension principles to extension works among urban farmers in Delta State. About 120 extension workers were purposively selected from the two research institutes in the State with the use of structured questionnaire. Data collected were analyzed with the Logistic Regression. Results showed that about 60.0% of the extension workers had their background in extension discipline while the remaining 40% were Subject Matter Specialists (SMS). Among the numerous channels available for information dissemination, only farm visit was regularly used and extension principles based on needs and Proffering solutions to farmers problems were commonly practiced. Age (t=2.169; p≤0.05), education (t=1.709;p≤0.05) and rank significantly determined frequency of application of extension principles in the study area. It was concluded that extension workers in the State demonstrated professionalism in the discharge of their duties considering the adoption of the two basic principles of working with the farmers to solve their problems and needs oriented approach. It is recommended that extension workers should be more focused on urban farming especially if the current food crisis is to be ameliorated in Nigeria.

Keywords: Information, urban farming, principles, agricultural extension

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2224-3208 ISSN (Online)2225-093X

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©