Phytochemical Screening of Tannins in Selected Indigenous Plants Species Used as Chewing Sticks in Ekiti State, Nigeria

Oluwafoise, B. G., Adaramodu, A. A.


Chewing sticks form an alternative to modern tooth pastes and brush and their use in brushing the teeth predates the later. The astringent and antimicrobial properties of tannins in chewing sticks give it one of its therapeutic values. This paper present a critical look at the analysis of tannins in selected indigenous plant species used as chewing sticks in Ekiti State, Nigeria. Forty eight (48) plant species belonging to 28 different families observed to be used for dental and oral health care in the study area were screened for the presence of tannins. Result of tannin phytochemical screening revealed that 34 (70.83%) contained tannins, while the remaining 14 (29.17%) do not contain tannin. In conclusion, the results showed that most of the Nigerian chewing sticks do contain tannins which have antibacterial activities which may contribute to the reported anticaries effect of chewing sticks. These sticks may be sources for new lead antibacterial agents for therapeutic or preventive applications. Based on the result obtained, it was recommended that users of chewing sticks should be sensitized on the type of chewing sticks that are of potential therapeutic benefit (anti-microbial) to the mouth health especially those containing tannins.

DOI: 10.7176/JBAH/9-24-05

Publication date: December 31st 2019

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2224-3208 ISSN (Online)2225-093X

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©