Spatial Distribution of Delinquent Behaviour in a Yoruba Traditional City: The experience from Ile-Ife, Nigeria



Obtaining information from 334 households systematically in four identifiable residential zones, this study investigated the spatial distribution of delinquent behaviour in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Rate of occurrence of delinquency in the identified residential areas was measured through an index of 5 and tagged Delinquency Rate of Occurrence Index (DROI) showed that truancy (DROI=4.10) was the most prevalent delinquent behaviour in the traditional town centre while stealing was established as the major delinquent behaviour in the middle income (DROI=3.04), high income (DROI=4.42) and post crisis (DROI=3.91) residential areas. Findings further revealed that the local area conditions (locality) predicted 69.3% of adolescent conduct disorder in the study area while the remaining 30.7% were predicted by other factors. Regression Linear equation defined for independent variable x (delinquency behaviour) and dependent variable y (locality) was y=2.463+0.547x. The study concluded therefore that significant variation existed in the rate of occurrence indices of delinquent behaviour (DROI) as local area conditions largely determined the level of conduct disorder among the adolescents in different residential zones of Ile-Ife, Nigeria. The approach to reduce delinquent behaviour so as to curb future criminal activities and make residents feel more secured should be guided by those variations in occurrences and local area conditions.

Keywords: Delinquency, Spatial, Variation, Distribution, Juvenile, Crime, Disorder.

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2224-5766 ISSN (Online)2225-0484

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©