Chemical Composition and Medicinal Values of Camel Milk

Jilo Tache Kula Dechasa Tegeng


Out of 25.89 million camel populations on the world 89% are one-humped camels and the remaining 11% are the two-humped. More than 60% of the dromedary camel population is concentrated in the arid areas of North East African countries. Ethiopia ranks third by the number of camel population and second by camel milk production from the globeCamel milk, white gold of the desert is more similar to human milk. Camel milk differs from other ruminant milk as it chemical composition is low cholesterol, low sugar, high minerals, high vitamin C and higher protective proteins like lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase, immunoglobulins and lysozyme, lacks of β-lactoglobulin milk is unique in terms of antioxidative factors, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, anti-hepatitis, anti arthritis, treatment for paratuberculosis, preventies aging, remedy for autoimmune diseases and has cosmetic values. Insulin in camel milk is safe and efficacious in improving long-term glycemic control in diabetic patient. Camel milk reduces autism symptoms in children. Lactoferrin has ability to inhibit the proliferation of cancer cell. Camel milk is rich in magnesium and zinc thus endowed antiulcer properties.  Camel milk has high α-hydroxyl acids which are known to plump and smoothies the skin and also used to treat skin disorders such as dermatitis, Acne, Psoriasis and Eczema. Although camel milk has such values, it’s less appreciated thus its consumption is restricted to pastoral area so further studies should be conducted on the chemical composition and medicinal value of camel milk.

Keywords: camel milk, chemical composition, medicinal value

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2224-7181 ISSN (Online)2225-062X

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©