Sero-Mapping of HBV, HCV, HSV2 and Syphilis Across Regions in Kenya

Mwangi Joseph, Solomon Mpoke, Dama Olungae, Rency Lel, Zipporah Ng’anga


This study was funded by Internal Research Grants of the Kenya Medical Research Institute. We acknowledge support from director KEMRI and institutions that participated in this study.


Hepatitis B and C,herpes Simplex Virus 2 and syphilis are important infections that share common modes of transmission. The global burden of these infections and their occurrence as co-infection of HIV in high risk population groups calls for more attention in control and management. While HIV has been a program priority disease in many low resource settings, hepatis B and C have not had as much attention. Yet there is substantial indication that transmission of hepatitis, herpes virus 2 and syphilis is on the increase. This study aimed at determining the prevalence of hepatitis B, hepatitis C, Herpes simples virus 2 and syphilis and their distribution across different regions in Kenya. Samples were collected from HIV positive study participants in 11 counties (out of total 47) distributed in 7 out of the 8 regions (provinces).A total of 1829 samples were tested for the 4 infections and their distribution analysised. Mapping of the infection was presented by study sites and regions . Overall prevalence of HSV2 was the highest (at 50%) followed by that of HBV (29%) and HCV and Syphilis (14% repectively). Majority of study participants (71%) had co-infections while the rest of the study participants (29%) had none of the four infections. Western and Nyanza regions of the country had higher prevalence of HBV (above 31%). Sero-prevalence of HCV across the regions ranged between 8 to 19 percent. Syphilis sero-prevalence was highest in western and Nyanza region (Range 18% to 26%) compared to other regions (4% to15%), the lowest prevalence was in Central region. Distribution of HSV2 indicated Nairobi was leading at 62%, Central at 48.5% and Rift Valley at 47.5%. Lowest prevalence of HSV2 was at eastern region with an average of 29%. There was significant relation between infections and study sites. Since routine testing for HBV, HCV and HSV is not readily available, there is need to develop a strategy for prevention and control of these infections. Integration of services would be an important consideration in this regard.

Keywords: HBV, HCV, HSV, Syphilis, prevalence, co-infection, distribution

DOI: 10.7176/JBAH/9-12-06

Publication date:June 30th 2019

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN (Paper)2224-3208 ISSN (Online)2225-093X

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©