Effectiveness of Structured Nursing Teaching Program on Outcomes of Chronic Low Back Pain Patients Undergoing Radiofrequency Ablation

Ghada Hassan Ahmed, Neama Mamdouh Mostfa, Shaymaa Sayed Khalil, Hanan Abd Allah Abozeid, Heba M. Fahmy, Abd Elraheem Elawamy


Background: Chronic low back pain is a full disorder that considers an important health problem. Aim: To evaluate the effectiveness of structured teaching program on outcomes of chronic low back pain patients undergoing radiofrequency ablation. Methods: A quasi-experimental research design has been utilized. Setting: Anesthesia and pain management department at the main Assiut University Hospital. Sample: Sixty low back pain patients undergoing radiofrequency ablation. They were randomly assigned in two groups of 30 patients each. Tools: three tools were utilized: Tool I: Structured interview patients' questionnaire. Tool II: Visual analogue pain scale and Tool III: "Modified Oswestry low back pain disability questionnaire" in addition, structured nursing teaching program. Results: More than half (53.3%) of the case group their age was from 18 to < 55 years, and the rest of them (46.7%) were older adults aged 55 years and more. 80% of the case group had good knowledge post implementation of the program. (100%) of the case group had worst pain intensity level which decrease to (46.7%) post program. 40% of case group had sever disability, which decreased to 30% post implementation of the program. there were significant relation between pain analogue scale and Oswestry low back pain disability scale in pre and post structured nursing teaching program regarding to occupation Conclusion: Structured nursing teaching program had an effective strategy to improve the patients’ outcomes through increasing patients' knowledge, and decreasing both pain intensity and physical disability in the case group versus the control group. Recommendation: Supervised structured teaching program should be carried out for all patients undergoing radiofrequency ablation about pre-and post-procedure instructions and helpful hints for a healthy back when standing, walking, sitting, sleeping, and lifting.

Keywords: Chronic low back pain, Radiofrequency ablation, structured nursing teaching program.

DOI: 10.7176/JHMN/65-08

Publication date: August 31st 2019

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email: JHMN@iiste.org

ISSN 2422-8419

Please add our address "contact@iiste.org" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright © www.iiste.org