Cholecystectomy for Gallstone: Types and Findings

Hassan Abd-Rhida Atiea, Nada Saadi Majeed, Majid Abid-Saaidan


Gall stone disease remains a common and significant cause of suffering in most parts of the world. Gallstones are the most common biliary pathology. A descriptive study covered 80 patients underwent surgical treatment for gallstone diseases. Ultrasound study and plain abdominal X-ray were done to confirm the presence of gallstone. More than half of the sample 58.8% were in the oldest age group 50-69 year. Female were 68(85%) and the remaining 12(15%) patients were male. Most of patients 60(75.0%) operated upon by open cholecystectomy, laparoscope used in 18(22.5%). The main finding on exploring the abdomen was inflammatory adhesion in 54(67.5%) of the patients, thick wall gallbladder came next in 12 (15%) patients. Many complications and clinical findings associated with gallstone, some of them are serious other are even fatal. That is why cholecystectomy is highly indicated even for silent gallstone.

Keywords: Gallstone, Jaundice, Cholecystitis, Surgery, Laparoscopy

DOI: 10.7176/JHMN/71-09

Publication date: February 29th 2020

Full Text: PDF
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN 2422-8419

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©