Market Marginal Analysis of Peas in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Aasif Awan Syed Asghar Ali Shah


This study was initiated to overview the peas marketing practices, identify the socio-economic, technical and marketing constraints confronted by the growers in enhancing its marketing and promoting its exports. To achieve the objectives, pea’s growers and market traders involved in peas marketing were interviewed through pre-tested questionnaires in two districts. i.e. Haripur and Mansehra districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in the year 2013-14. Both districts are enjoying the central position in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa by supplying peas. The farm size of the selected growers ranged between 0.88 to 31.25 acres with an average of 4.52 acres in the study area. Most of the wholesalers and Beoparis bought pea’s produce from the growers directly at seasonal market such as Baffa (Mansehra) and tube well No.18 (Haripur) and sold at different wholesale markets of the country. It is remarkable that auction system was not existed in these seasonal markets. Sixty eight percent (68%) and 46% of the growers in both districts sold their pea’s produce in seasonal markets such as Baffa (Mansehra) and Tube-well No.18 (Haripur) respectively. The remaining 54% of the growers in Haripur district and 32% in Mansehra district sold their produce at the local seasonal markets as well as at Rawalpindi wholesale market. Eighty two percent of the growers enjoyed the price variation at each level, while the rest (18%) were not benefited from price variation, because they sold their peas crop to pre-harvest contractors at immature stage.Pea’s grower received a highest portion (68%) of the consumer’s rupee followed by the retailers. Data also indicated that the retailer realized 13 to 23% with an average of 18% of the consumer’s rupee in the whole season, while wholesaler received a minimum portion of the consumer’s rupee. The grower and retailer got 100% & 17.5% margin respectively in the one step promotion of peas produce, which are high as compared to other market intermediaries such as contractor and wholesaler.

Keywords: Structure conduct performance (SCP), Marginal Analysis, Break down consumer rupee, Marketing Cost, Absolute Cash Margins, Net Margins.


Full Text: PDF ()
Download the IISTE publication guideline!

To list your conference here. Please contact the administrator of this platform.

Paper submission email:

ISSN 2422-8451

Please add our address "" into your email contact list.

This journal follows ISO 9001 management standard and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Copyright ©